Recipe by Michelle S.
Not authentic at all, but good! I cannot recall where I found this recipe but it has been a favorite over the years. It has great flavor and is fast to put together...perfect for week night meals!
Top Review by sparky955
I've haunted Asian markets for ingredients for years & have never made such a perfect Szechuan beef entree. Fast, cheap & tasty. Using Angostura brand soy sauce cut the sodium to a safe level for Ron, making this an acceptable main dish for renal diabetics. Also, since I didn't have sherry, I used white wine (real, not the cooking stuff). Thank you SO much for posting this!
- 1 lb round steak
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce (I use Heinz)
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 bunch green onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut beef into thin slices (I do this when slightly frozen for more ease).
- Mix soy sauce, chili sauce, sherry, cornstarch, ginger, and pepper flakes in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1 T. oil in a wok. Add garlic and onions, stir fry 1 minute.
- Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Add remaining oil to wok.
- Add meat a 1/3 at a time, stir frying until it loses it's red color.
- Place in bowl with onions.
- Add chili mixture to wok, heat until bubbly hot. Stir in meat and onion mixtures, stirring until sauce coats meat and onions and is warmed through.
- Serve over rice.