Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got this recipe from Martha Stewarts message board.
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 5 large ripe bananas, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices or 3 -4 very ripe pears or 3 -4 peaches, sliced (about 1 1/2 pounds) or 1 cup dried cherries, cranberries or 1 cup raisins
- 1 long loaf French bread (12 ounces) or 1 Italian bread, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices (12 ounces)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds or 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- In microwave-safe small bowl, heat butter in microwave oven on High 1 minute or until melted. Stir sugar into butter until moistened.
- With fingertips, press sugar mixture onto bottom of 13" by 9" glass baking dish. (It's okay if mixture does not cover bottom.)
- Spread fresh or dried fruit over sugar mixture; top with bread slices, cut sides down.
- In medium bowl, with whisk, beat eggs; whisk in milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Slowly pour milk mixture over bread; press bread down to absorb egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove plastic wrap from baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 45 to 50 minutes or until bread is golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.