Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another southern recipe passed down from generation to generation. Served warm with a dollop of ice cream is pure heaven.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups cane syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix sugar, butter and syrup together and blend well.
- Add eggs and continue to blend.
- Add flour, salt and soda together in a small bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the mix alternating with buttermilk.
- Add vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Bake in a well greased and floured tube pan at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick in the center comes out cleanly.
This recipe was very simple to follow. I made it for my father-in-law trying to make the cake his grandmother made for him as a child. Although the ingredients were the same as he remembered it wasn't exactly what we were looking for. He liked it OK, I thought it was too sweet. Make sure that you like whatever syrup you choose because that is definitely what your cake will taste like.