Recipe by Caryn
A Russian co-worker of my husbands provided this recipe to meet a request by a Zaar member.
Top Review by HeatherFeather
Wonderful! This is definitely the same taste I remember from eating these at the Russian Tea Room in NYC years ago. These are like little cheese dessert pancakes and they are scrumptious. The recipe was very easy to follow and produced excellent results. PLease thank your co-worker for me for sharing thier family recipe.. This is a winner!
- 1 lb dry curd cottage cheese (hoop type)
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind, grated
- 3 -4 tablespoons flour
- 1 dash salt
- sour cream (for serving over Syrniki)
Directions See How It's Made
- Use only very dry cottage cheese.
- Put cheese through fine sieve, add sugar, well-beaten eggs, sour cream, lemon juice, and lemon rind.
- Mix very thoroughly.
- Add salt.
- Add flour by teaspoonfuls, mixing the mass constantly.
- Mixture should be very smooth and rather thick.
- Place in the refrigerator for 45 to 60 minutes, and then scoop small balls of it onto a slightly floured board.
- Form into round or oval kotlety about 3/4 inch thick, and about 2 to 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Fry on both sides in pre-heated butter.
- Serve at once, sprinkled with mixture of cinnamon, sugar, and sour cream on the side.