1/1 Photo of Syrian Pita Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
A Food and Wine staff favorite courtesy of Chris Hanna. It's really not that difficult to make your own pita bread (they may not always have a pocket in the middle) and they have better flavor and texture than store-bought. Give these a whirl! *See note in directions if you would like to make these in advance and store them in your freezer*
My Private Note
6 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Set a pizza stone on the bottom rack of your oven and preheat to 500 degrees F.
- 2In a bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Let it stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. *If you have never worked with active dry yeast before, please read up on how this works.*.
- 3In a food processor, pulse the flour and salt together. While the machine is on, pour in the yeast mixture through the processor feed/hole. Then pour in the warm milk. Process the dough until it forms a ball.
- 4Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it a few times. Form the dough into a ball. Lightly oil a large bowl and transfer the dough ball to the bowl. Turn the dough ball to coat all sides with the oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- 5Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Punch down the dough and cut it in half. then cut each half into 8 pieces and roll them into balls. Then flatten them into 6 inch rounds. Arrange the rounds on the work surface, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until puffy - about 25 minutes.
- 6Using a lightly floured pizza peel (or floured spatula) slide 4 of the rounds onto the hot pizza stone and bake for about 5 minutes, or until the pitas puff up. Repeat with the remaining 4 rounds.
- 7Serve hot or wrap in foil to keep warm.
- 8*Note: the flattened, unbaked pita rounds can be frozen for up to 1 month. Let them thaw completely, then let them rest at room temperature for about 20 minutes before baking.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Syrian Pita Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.4
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 3.2 mg
- Sodium 231.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 6.6 g