Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I was googling along...looking for additional NA/ME recipes...and stumbled across this tasty morsel at a site simply called 'Syrian Cooking'. It was originally submitted by Ghinwa Alameen. Nom nom!!
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb lamb
- 3 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons baharat spice mix
- salt & pepper
- Mix meat with 1/3c parsley, 1/2tsp salt & some black pepper. Form into small 1" balls.
- Brown meatballs in oil/ghee on medium heat. OR, you may do this in the oven at 350F for 30 minutes being sure to turn halfway through.
- Saute onions in the drippings. Peel & dice the tomatoes & add to the onions. Simmer 30 minutes to thicken; add meatballs & simmer gently for an additional 30 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste, baharat & remaining parsley. Serve over rice.
These were most delicious and easy to make. I used local grass fed beef (although lamb would be equally good or in combination) and fresh heirloom tomatoes from our CSA box. I reduced the amount of tomatoes to 2 pounds however. Made a Syrian baharat spice mix blend from a recipe found online somewhere. The meatballs were served over plain couscous accompanied by a simple tossed green salad. Will make again! Made for A Taste of Syria in the NA*ME forum.