Prep 1 hr
Cook 7 mins
Puff rolls, these should be hallow in the center, but sometimes and they were not. Traveled extremely well in my husbands lunch. As with most of my recipes, I haven't got a clue where they came from. At the time I was writing the recipe down, all I was concerned with was "Do I have the ingredients".
- 5 -5 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Mix 2 cup flour and the yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix remaining ingredients and heat until warm (115 degrees) stirring constantly.
- Add to flour/yeast mixture.
- Beat at low 1/2 minute (scrape sides of bowl).
- Beat on high 3 minutes.
- By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make moderate stiff dough.
- Knead on floured surface until smooth.
- Place in greased bowl; turn once.
- Cover and let rise until double (40-45 minutes) Punch down; cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Form into balls 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets; roll each to 4 inch circle.
- Bake at 400 degrees till puffed, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Cool on cloth covered surface.