Recipe by Hoosier Margie
Puff rolls, these should be hallow in the center, but sometimes and they were not. Traveled extremely well in my husbands lunch. As with most of my recipes, I haven't got a clue where they came from. At the time I was writing the recipe down, all I was concerned with was "Do I have the ingredients".
- 5 -5 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 2 cup flour and the yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix remaining ingredients and heat until warm (115 degrees) stirring constantly.
- Add to flour/yeast mixture.
- Beat at low 1/2 minute (scrape sides of bowl).
- Beat on high 3 minutes.
- By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make moderate stiff dough.
- Knead on floured surface until smooth.
- Place in greased bowl; turn once.
- Cover and let rise until double (40-45 minutes) Punch down; cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Form into balls 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets; roll each to 4 inch circle.
- Bake at 400 degrees till puffed, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Cool on cloth covered surface.