This recipe is from a 4-H cookbook that has a lot of great desserts. No explanation as to why these are called Sympathy Bars. Just tried these and they're very good. Very much like a brownie. I'm not big on cherries, so I skipped the garnish. I used semi sweet baking chocolate because it was what I had in the pantry. I screwed up the frosting a bit by not watching the butter (I stuck it in the warm oven to soften) and it melted. However, the frosting still turned out fairly well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 2 ounces baking chocolate, melted
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Cream butter.
- 3Gradually add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- 4Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- 5Sift together flour and salt.
- 6Gradually add to creamed mixture.
- 7Blend in nuts.
- 8Divide batter in half.
- 9Spread one half on the bottom of 9x13 inch pan.
- 10Mix chocolate into remaining half and spread on top.
- 11Bake 25-30 minutes.
- 13Frosting: In saucepan, mix flour and milk.
- 14Cook over medium heat until paste thickens, stirring constantly.
- 15Cool thoroughly.
- 16Cream butter, sugar and vanilla.
- 17Gradually add paste and beat on high speed for 5 minutes.
- 18Spread on bars.
- 19Garnish with nuts and cherries.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sympathy Bars
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 360.3
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 77.3 mg
- Sodium 175.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 22.0 g
- Protein 4.5 g