Prep 8 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Sylvia's of Harlem, NY. http://www.sylviassoulfood.com/restaurants.html
- 4 -5 1⁄2 lbs roasting chickens
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse chicken thoroughly and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, stir together salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the chicken, inside and out.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or even better, overnight in the refrigerator.
- Rub the chicken inside and out with the softened butter.
- Place chicken, breast side down, in a roasting pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Turn the chicken to breast side up and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour longer or until juices run clean when pricked with a fork between the leg and the thigh.