Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I am glad my grandmother included a variety of ideas for things you have on hand that can make a hearty meal in our family cookbook. This is a great fix for a weeknight dinner... You can add bell pepper, celery, pimentos etc the variations are endless!
- 4 -5 large potatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of celery soup or 1 (10 ounce) can chicken soup or 1 (10 ounce) can cheese soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can milk (fill soup can)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 medium onions or 1 medium green onion
- Velveeta cheese (cut about a 2-inch piece into cubes)
- 1 -2 lb hamburger (or 1 can of spam, cooked chopped chicken or tuna)
- salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes with jackets until done.
- Sauté onion in butter.
- Add soup of choice and milk-heat.
- Add cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice boiled potatoes.
- Cook meat if needed (my grandma browns the Spam lightly).
- Layer in this order: potatoes, meat and sauce, layer again and top with shredded cheese of your choice.
- Bake at 350° covered for 35 - 40 minutes until heated through.