Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the icing recipe from my good friend Sylvia. She makes the best cakes and this is what she always ices them with.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter (or margarine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups sifted icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter, shortening and vanilla. Gradually add the sugar 1 cup at a time, and beat well on medium speed (scrape sides and bottom of bowl often).
- Once all the sugar is mixed in, add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Keep refrigerated and covered until needed.
Absolutely wonderful - really simple to make and great tasting! This is the recipe I will be using from now on and I've tried a lot!
Very good ... next time I will use a little more butter and a little less shortening.
Wonderful icing! Being an icing fanatic - it has to be the best and the easiet I've ever had/made! Didn't have vanilla extract on hand, so substituted strawberry...better than I thought it would be! Thank you for posting!