Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A different kind of square, and quite delicious.
- 8 ounces butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup jam, your choice or 1⁄2 cup jelly, for the filling your choice
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix the ingredients for the pastry and press it into a 13 X 9 inch, greased, pyrex baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes until almost done.
- Stir together the ingredients for the coconut topping in a saucepan. Simmer while stirring until thick but still runny. The batter must not boil!
- Remove pastry from oven after 20 minutes, and spread jam or jelly of your choice over the warm pastry. Drop the coconut mixture on top and level it with a spatula. Sprinkle with sliced almonds. Return to oven and bake another 10 minutes (the coconut mixture should set slightly and become golden brown).
- Cut into squares while still warm and cool completely in pan.
I made this for a summer party and they went really good. I used raspberry jam as the filling and it was very yum. Watch your time when baking the pastry though. The timing on it is everything for this to work.
We (BF, my flatmate's girlfriend and I) really enjoy these coconut squares. I chose apricot preserves for the filling and it goes well with the coconut. Yummy!