Recipe by evelyn/athens
A different kind of square, and quite delicious.
Top Review by Howard L
I made this for a summer party and they went really good. I used raspberry jam as the filling and it was very yum. Watch your time when baking the pastry though. The timing on it is everything for this to work.
- 8 ounces butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup jam, your choice or 1⁄2 cup jelly, for the filling your choice
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix the ingredients for the pastry and press it into a 13 X 9 inch, greased, pyrex baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes until almost done.
- Stir together the ingredients for the coconut topping in a saucepan. Simmer while stirring until thick but still runny. The batter must not boil!
- Remove pastry from oven after 20 minutes, and spread jam or jelly of your choice over the warm pastry. Drop the coconut mixture on top and level it with a spatula. Sprinkle with sliced almonds. Return to oven and bake another 10 minutes (the coconut mixture should set slightly and become golden brown).
- Cut into squares while still warm and cool completely in pan.