Recipe by mollypaul
Chilling time not included in preparation time. From the Minnesota Scandinavian chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1⁄2 lb veal
- 1⁄2 lb pork
- 1 pork shank
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 6 peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place meat in a stockpot with water just to cover.
- Add seasonings and simmer slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
- Remove meat and chop very fine.
- Strain liquid.
- Return meat to liquid, add lemon juice and vinegar.
- Boil for five minutes, then pour into a mold and cool (to facilitate unmolding, give the mold a spritz of cooking spray before filling).
- When firm, turn out onto platter and serve with sliced beets marinated in vinegar.