Prep1 hr 10 mins
Wish I could remember where I picked up this recipe [over 30 years ago], but I can't! In spite of the detailed directions, it is easy to make & great-tasting, to boot! And, I'm one of those who can thoroughly enjoy a simple cheese & sauce pizza! Preparation time does not include the 2 hours it takes for the dough to rise.
FOR THE DOUGH
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, low-sodium
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 2 -3 cups pasta sauce
- 2 cups romano cheese, shredded
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- FOR THE DOUGH, Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt & sugar.
- Add yeast mixture & oil into middle of flour mixture, mixing until dough is soft but not sticky. If sticky, add a little more flour in the next step.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured board, & knead until dough is smooth & elastic. Dough will pop back if you stick a finger into it.
- Put dough in lightly oiled bowl & brush it with oil, then cover with towel & put in warm place.
- Allow to rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until dough has doubled in size. A hole remains if you poke your finger into the dough.
- Remove dough from bowl & punch it down on a board.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Divide dough into 2 equal balls, then cover & let rest 10 minutes.
- Taking 1 ball at a time, roll it out or pat & stretch it into a circle about 14 inches in diameter. Dough should be thinner at center than at edge.
- Pinch edge of dough to form a rim, & place the whole of the dough on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Prick lightly all over with a fork.
- FOR THE TOPPING, If you want, you can brush the pizza dough LIGHTLY with olive oil, OR just start by covering the dough with a pasta/pizza sauce, to about 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the edge.
- Add a layer of shredded Romano cheese over the sauce.
- If desired, at this point add any meat/veggie topping(s) that you like.
- Sprinkle top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until crust is done, about 30 minutes.