Recipe by Dr. Jenny
DH and I enjoyed this recipe from Williams-Sonoma last night very much. We cooked in our stovetop grill pan. The recipe made more spice rub than was needed to coat the steaks so we heavily applied. We found that this overpowered the dish a bit, so I would recommend not heavily applying the rub, just use enough to coat. We used kalamata olives for the black olives.
Top Review by Vicki in CT
What a terrific blend of flavors. I think the salty olives, acidity of the tomatoes, with the tart lemon came together so well. I subbed cayenne for the pepper flakes in the rub since I was fearful the large flakes might burn on the grill. Served on wilted spinach which REALLY went well with the salsa too. Perfect, easy, quick meal.
- olive oil, for coating
- 4 (1/2 lb) swordfish steaks
For the Spice Rub
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, ground in mortar (or a spice grinder)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper (can use freshly ground black pepper)
For the salsa
- 1⁄4 cup pitted sicilian black olives, chopped (can use other black olives)
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct grilling over high heat and oil the grill rack.
- Coat the swordfish with olive oil.
- To make the spice rub, in a small bowl, mix together the garlic powder, dried basil, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, salt and lemon pepper. Sprinkle both sides of each swordfish steak generously with the spice rub.
- To make the salsa, in a bowl, mix together the olives, tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, cayenne, oil and lemon juice. Taste and season with salt. Set aside.
- Grill the swordfish directly over high heat, turning once, until grill-marked, firm to the touch and opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Arrange the fish steaks on individual plates and top with the salsa or serve it alongside.