Recipe by Kim127
Posted for ZWT 7 (from Cooks.com). Prep time includes Chill time. These may be prepared for baking several days in advance and kept in refrigerator or they may be baked and kept in a covered container for about 1 week. Reheat in slow over before serving.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 4 -5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup swiss cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together the already sifted flour and the salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles small peas.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough holds together. Do not handle too much. Chill.
- Divide dough into 2 parts. Roll it out, very thin, into rectangles.
- Sprinkle 1 part with cheese and top it with caraway seeds and a sprinkle of salt. Place other half of dough on top of this as a cover. Chill for 5 minutes in refrigerator.
- Cut filled dough into strips 2 inches long and 1/4 inch wide. Chill again before baking.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake in 450 degree oven for about 5 minutes or until golden.