Recipe by Baby Kato
This recipe is by Victoria Marler and has been posted for the ZWT-7 tour of Switzerland. This beautiful loaf is quick and easy to make.
Top Review by IngridH
This bread is absolutely beautiful, with a golden crust and a tender even crumb. I'd have to say is is one of the prettiest loaves I've ever made. I mixed and kneaded the dough in my KA, then baked as directed. 20 minutes was perfect baking time in my oven. As with the previous reviewer, my only problem was the lack of salt. I added 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, but would add more next time. I should also note that I use unsalted butter, so I might add more salt than others would. Made for ZWT7- Emerald City Shakers
- 1⁄4 ounce yeast, pkg, active, dry
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk, warm
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour, bread
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk.
- Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add the egg yolk, butter and 2 cups of bread flour; stirring well to combine.
- Next, stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, for 7 - 8 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and roll each piece into a 14 inch long cylinder.
- Braid the pieces together and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lastly In a small bowl, beat together the egg white and water.
- Brush the risen loaf with the egg wash and bake for 20 to 25, until golden.