1 hr 30 mins
Ruki Nox's Note:
I learned this recipe from a family when I was living in Switzerland. I didn't have much experience as far as making loaves, but this recipe turned out almost right away and soon became a favourite. The lemon drizzle makes for a nice burst of lemon flavour in the moist loaf. It also tastes really good warm or cooled down! The only problem is that the ingredients are all measured in grams, since I just use a scale. Sorry for the inconvenience...but enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 200 g soft butter
- 200 g sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 grated lemons, rind of
- 4 eggs
- 200 g flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 50 g icing sugar
- 2 lemons, juice of (they can be same as the 2 lemons used for rind.)
- 1For the loaf: In a large bowl, whip butter.
- 2Stir in sugar, salt, and lemon rind. Whisk well, until batter is smooth and lighter in colour.
- 3Add the eggs and whisk well again.
- 4Sift the flour and baking powder into the batter, and stir until well combined.
- 5Place the batter into a greased bread pan, and make a long cut through the center, lengthwise. If the batter is too liquidy, the slit will disappear in the oven, so if necessary add a small amount of flour. Make sure the cut is deep and not just on the surface.
- 6Bake 60 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius, until the loaf is golden and a skewer comes out clean. Depending on your oven, you may have to put tin foil over the pan for the last 30 minutes so the top of the bread doesn't burn.
- 7For the drizzle: Mix together icing sugar and lemon juice.
- 8When the loaf is finished baking, Remove it from the pan and place it on a plate or platter.
- 9Take a skewer and make deep holes all over the loaf. The more holes there are, the more moist and lemony the loaf will taste. I usually do as many as possible.
- 10Take the drizzle and pour it all over the top of the loaf, careful to let a lot soak through the one long cut, as well as into the small holes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swiss Zitronen Kuchen (Lemon Loaf)
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 574.4
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.1 g
- Cholesterol 212.2 mg
- Sodium 445.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 42.2 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of