Recipe by littleturtle
Ideal for guests or a great way to use up leftover turkey and ham.
Top Review by Smiley Roma
I had made this recipe many years ago and lost it. Recently I found this while looking for a turkey recipe. A true five star! The swiss cheese and sherry give the dish a "grown up" taste. I use 1 cup of grated swiss and fresh mushrooms instead of canned. Excellent!
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (3 ounce) can mushrooms, sliced (undrained)
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 cups cooked turkey (cubed) or 2 cups cooked chicken (cubed)
- 5 ounces ham, cubed (1 cup)
- 1 (5 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced & drained
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion in butter until tender, but not brown.
- Blend in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Add mushrooms, cream, and sherry.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Add turkey, ham, and water chestnuts.
- Pour into 1 1/2 quart casserole, and top with cheese.
- Mix crumbs with melted butter and sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake at 400F until bubbly and lightly browned (25 minutes).