Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 6 cups dry bread, cubed (French or other)
- 3 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons chocolate, ground
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup citron
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of
- Warm milk. Add sugar, salt and bread.
- When this mixture is cool enough, add slightly beaten eggs, melted butter, ground chocolate, lemon rind, raisin and citron; mix thoroughly.
- Pour into 9 x 8-inch greased pan. Bake in 325 degrees oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- (When cool, sprinkle red or green sugar or cake decorations for a holiday treat.)