Prep 15 mins
Cook 22 mins
A Swiss version of mac and cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sliced shallot
- 10 ounces medium sized pasta
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 ounces genuine swiss cheese
- 6 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Lightly grease a 12 × 8-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt.
- Drain in colander; set aside.
- Meanwhile, lightly saute the shallots until softened in just enough butter to keep them from sticking to the pan, set aside.
- Whisk together milk, flour, mustard, salt and pepper in large skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat; add shallots, Swiss cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Place the pasta in bottom of prepared pan.
- Pour sauce evenly pasta.
- Bake until almost heated through, about 20 minutes and top with the crumbled bacon.
- Heat for another 2-4 mins and remove from oven, serve hot.
This waas delicious!!!!! I used lumache (snail shell pasta) since I find they hold sauce very well, I really like them for baked pasta dishes. I subbed cream for about 1/3 of the milk, and I forgot that the bacon was for on top, so I mixed it in .. very nice, though! I also used up about 20 gr of creamy blue cheese that was in the fridge, in addition to a generous use of cheese! This was a rich and creamy, decadent mac 'n 'cheese, we really enjoyed it, and DH is the lucky one who gets the leftovers for lunch, grr! Loved this recipe, made for I Recommend tag game.
Made today for a side to dinner, was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. Very nice combination of the ingredients here, the bacon and the cheese was great, my kids said melts in your mouth, like that candy says. Made for PRMR tag.
This was a nice change from traditional mac and cheese. I used rotini since that is what I had left and thought it could have used a little more cheese; next time I will add some to the top with the bacon like a previous reviewer stated. Made for ZWT-7~THE HOT PINK LADIES.