Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is being posted in response to a request for a Swiss Steak that doesn't contain tomato. This was my mom's recipe and is still my favorite. Lots of gravy, no tomato.
- 2 lbs round steaks, cut into serving pieces and pounded thin
- 1⁄2 cup flour, for dusting steaks
- 1 medium onion, cut in quarters and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
- Put flour, salt, and pepper in large ziploc baggie.
- Add pounded steak pieces and shake well.
- Do not remove from bag.
- In large dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat until shimmering.
- Shake baggie to recoat steak pieces, shake each piece to remove excess flour, and add to skillet.
- Fry until browned on each side, approximately 2 minutes per side.
- (This will have to be done in batches. Remove each browned piece to a plate.).
- Add onions to dutch oven, cover and cook for one minute.
- Add soup and broth, stir well, add steak pieces, cover, and place in 325 oven for 90 minutes.
- If using mushrooms, add after 60 minutes and replace in oven.
- This makes a lot of gravy that doesn't usually have to be thickened and is wonderful on boiled or mashed potatoes.
My DH likes a stroganoff type swiss steak so I tried this recipe. I didn't quite have 2 lbs, just 3 large already tenderized steaks. I also put in the crockpot on high. This did make a TON of gravy that did not need thickening - which I like and I've frozen some for use later. I'll have to remember to come back and let you know how that turns out. The flavor was very good. My only complaint is that next time I won't dredge the steaks in flour first - maybe just sear in a bit of oil. All the flour came off and made floating flour thingies in the gravy which I didn't like. I don't have an immersion blender or I would have zapped the little buggers. Maybe the crock caused this? I will definitely make again though.
This is a winner. The only thing I didn't add was the mushrooms. I didn't have any. Served with mashed potatoess, green beans and biscuits. My DH caught me standing over the pot with some bread just eating the gravy. Thanks for the recipe. I'm sure it will be a recipe I will use for a long time.
My family really enjoyed this! I will definitely make this again! I thought it was easier to make than it sounds - I did use mushrooms and this does make plenty of gravy! i served it with rice - thanks for the recipe!