1/1 Photo of Swiss Steak Without Tomato
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is being posted in response to a request for a Swiss Steak that doesn't contain tomato. This was my mom's recipe and is still my favorite. Lots of gravy, no tomato.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs round steaks, cut into serving pieces and pounded thin
- 1/2 cup flour, for dusting steaks
- 1 medium onion, cut in quarters and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 1Put flour, salt, and pepper in large ziploc baggie.
- 2Add pounded steak pieces and shake well.
- 3Do not remove from bag.
- 4In large dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat until shimmering.
- 5Shake baggie to recoat steak pieces, shake each piece to remove excess flour, and add to skillet.
- 6Fry until browned on each side, approximately 2 minutes per side.
- 7(This will have to be done in batches. Remove each browned piece to a plate.).
- 8Add onions to dutch oven, cover and cook for one minute.
- 9Add soup and broth, stir well, add steak pieces, cover, and place in 325 oven for 90 minutes.
- 10If using mushrooms, add after 60 minutes and replace in oven.
- 11This makes a lot of gravy that doesn't usually have to be thickened and is wonderful on boiled or mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swiss Steak Without Tomato
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 404.8
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 86.1 mg
- Sodium 1387.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 39.6 g