Recipe by Julie B's Hive
From a sheet torn out of an old cookbook. A one-pot meal that's just so yummy - even if I do say so myself!
Top Review by Annacia
Without being ask my DH said "5 Stars!, tell the chef that is delicious". Julie, it was delicious. My single change was to use a can of stewed tomatoes in place of the soup and instead of putting the onions in the swiss steak I used them to make a side of peppered mushrooms and onions. The top round came out almost butter tender, only a fork was needed, and very tasty. Made for Photo Tag.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, 1/4 thick
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 1.5 (10 3/4 ounce) cans tomato soup, undiluted
- 10 ounces water
- 8 new potatoes, whole, unpared
- 6 carrots, quartered, pared
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- EARLY IN DAY: Cut round steak into 8 large pieces.
- Mix flour with S&P and with edge of saucer, pound into steak.
- In hot oil in Dutch oven, brown steak on both sides; add onions and brown a bit. Add soup and water. Cover; simmer about 30 minute or until meat begins to be tender.
- TO SERVE: Heat meat to simmering point; add potatoes and carrots; simmer, covered about 25 minute Season to taste. Push frozen peas down into the juices. Cook, covered, about 10 min longer or just until vegetables are tender.