1/3 Photos of Swiss Steak With Mushrooms, Onions, & Gravy
1 hr 30 mins
It is a variation of the dish which my mother made all my life and which I have continued to make my entire marriage. Since there are so few Swiss Steak recipes here with gravy I decided to share this one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut meat into 6-8 large sized pieces (meat will shrink).
- 2Mix the flour, salt, and pepper in a medium sized dish.
- 3In a 12 inch skillet heat the vegetable oil until medium hot over medium high heat.
- 4Dredge meat in the flour mixture well on both sides.
- 5Brown the meat in the oil well on both sides.
- 6There should be enough room in the skillet to brown all the meat at once.
- 7Turn the heat down to medium low.
- 8Pour the mushrooms and liquid over the meat.
- 9Top the mushrooms with the sliced onions.
- 10Cover and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the meat is tender.
- 11NOTE**** add water 1/2 cup at a time about every 15 minutes to keep the meat cooking with moist heat.
- 12When meat is tender turn off heat and remove meat from pan.
- 13Add 3-3 1/2 cups of cold water to the remaining flour which wasn't using with dredging.
- 14Stir well to remove lumps.
- 15Slowly add to the drippings in the pan.
- 16Stir constantly over medium heat until thickened.
- 17If gravy is too thick add more water-- if too thin add more flour mixed with cold water.
- 18Taste and add more salt, pepper/and or beef flavoring as desired.
- 19Turn heat down to low and gently slide the meat back into the gravy.
- 20Heat until the meat is hot again and serve.
- 21Great with mashed potatoes or steamed rice.
- 22OPTIONAL Hint: I often add a couple teaspoons of Kitchen Bouquet to the finished gravy to give it more color. I decided I should add a note about this in case others would like this helpful hint.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swiss Steak With Mushrooms, Onions, & Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.0
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 583.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 3.7 g