Recipe by catcher
I found this recipe online years ago and it was an instant hit with my family. It is especially comforting on a cold winter day.
Top Review by saybabes
Just made this for dinner everyone loved it!! I just made one change, I used lean ground beef and patted it into burgers instead of using cube steak. My husband doesn't like cube steak.
I will definitely make this recipe again...thanks!!
- 2 lbs cube steaks
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cups beef stock or 3 cups bouillon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each steak into the desired serving size, if necessary. Salt and pepper each steak lightly and dredge in flour. Shake off excess. Set aside.
- If you don't have a skillet with ovenproof handles, you can use a Pyrex dish or an earthenware pan with a cover for the oven. Heat a heavy 12-inch skillet (cast iron, if you have one) with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil. Brown the cube steaks on both sides and set aside.
- Pour off all of the oil except 1/3 cup. Add 1/3 cup of flour to the oil and stir. Allow the mixture ot brown over medium-low heat and stir frequently to prevent it from burning. When the mixture is about the color of peanut butter, add the onion. Stir and allow the onion to cook for about 1 minute.
- Slowly add the beef stock, stirring constantly. Add the Wercestershire sauce and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Return the cube steaks to the pan, cover, and bake in a 275 degree oven for one hour.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable.