1/2 Photos of Swiss Steak With Brown Gravy
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I found this recipe online years ago and it was an instant hit with my family. It is especially comforting on a cold winter day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut each steak into the desired serving size, if necessary. Salt and pepper each steak lightly and dredge in flour. Shake off excess. Set aside.
- 2If you don't have a skillet with ovenproof handles, you can use a Pyrex dish or an earthenware pan with a cover for the oven. Heat a heavy 12-inch skillet (cast iron, if you have one) with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil. Brown the cube steaks on both sides and set aside.
- 3Pour off all of the oil except 1/3 cup. Add 1/3 cup of flour to the oil and stir. Allow the mixture ot brown over medium-low heat and stir frequently to prevent it from burning. When the mixture is about the color of peanut butter, add the onion. Stir and allow the onion to cook for about 1 minute.
- 4Slowly add the beef stock, stirring constantly. Add the Wercestershire sauce and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- 5Return the cube steaks to the pan, cover, and bake in a 275 degree oven for one hour.
- 6Serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swiss Steak With Brown Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.5
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 713.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: