Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My husband found this in a newspaper years ago (before we were married).
- 907.18 g round steaks, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 78.07 ml flour
- 9.85 ml salt
- 29.58 ml shortening (or drippings)
- 236.59 ml celery, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 118.29 ml water
- 453.59 g can tomatoes, diced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper
- Partially freeze round steak and cut into thin strips, 2 or 3 inches long.
- Combine flour and salt and dredge strips.
- Brown strips in shortening in large pan and drain.
- Add celery and water. Cover tightly and cook slowly for 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, green pepper, onion, bay leaf, and cayenne pepper.
- Cover and cook slowly for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve plain or over rice.
OUTSTANDING! I used regular black pepper instead of cayenne. Made for ZWT 7.
Mmm this was scrumptious, I am sorry I had no green peppers so I had to make do with red but I think it would of been better with green so next time. I did cook mine for a bit longer as my meat was a bit tough, we like it melt in the mouth soft which it was. I did put a wee bit more pepper in and it gave it a nice kick I will definitely make it again it was yummy. Thank you for posting. Made for PAC Spring 2011.
My husband's astonishing and brilliant words, "It's good. Make it again." He's pure genius, huh? Ha! Made for 123 Hit Wonders.