Recipe by Sassy in da South
Made this today from a TOH cookbook. Reminded me of my gramma's swiss steak when I was a kid. I just added hot crusty bread and the meal was complete!
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs boneless beef round steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 7 -9 small red potatoes, halved (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Add beef in batches and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef in oil on both sides.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish.
- Top with onions and potatoes.
- Sprinkle with remaining salt; gently toss to coat.
- Add the bay leaf.
- Spoon soup over top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Place beans around edge of dish.
- Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf.