Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From a 1975 Rival cookbook. There are several Swiss Steak recipes on Zaar, but I couldn't find this one.
- 2 lbs round steaks, 1 inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- Cut steak into 4 serving pieces.
- Dredge in flour, mixed with salt; place in crock pot.
- Add chopped vegetables and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour tomato sauce over meat and vegetables.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
This turned out so nice for us...a comforting meal that isn't loaded with calories. I sprinkled the steak with salt on one side and celery salt on the other since I didn't have any fresh celery. It worked great. I used three carrots and one small onion for the veggies. I also didn't have tomato sauce so I used some leftover spaghetti sauce. It worked great instead of the thinner tomato sauce giving a nice slightly thick sauce. Excellent and something we'll have again. Of course, the meat was fork tender after I cooked it on high for 4 hours. Thanks!
What a super easy & tasty meal. Served over Egg Noodles and just made a nice salad to go along with it. I made this last week but forgot to review until now. Will be making this again. Thanks for posting.