Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This makes a very rich gravy. It is cooked in a crock pot.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef round steak, cut 3/4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Trim fat from meat; cut into 6 serving size pieces. In a 12- inch skillet brown meat on all sides in hot oil. Drain off fat.
- Place onion in the bottom of a 3 1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker. Add meat. Combine coffee, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaves, and oregano; pour over meat and onion.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours or on high 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove meat and onions to a platter; keep warm. Measure 2 cups cooking juices; pour into a small saucepan. Discard bay leaves. Combine water and cornstarch; stir into saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Serve sauce with round steak.