1 hr 25 mins
This intro is from the 1937 recipe. Our first swiss steak recipe appeared in 1930 and was seasoned only with salt, pepper, onion and mustard. Over, the years, the ingredients have changed to include more flavorful items. With todays recipe you can take your choice of of range-top or oven method. This is a very tasty recipe. Sometimes going back to the basics is just the best! Recipe says to serve over rice or egg noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless beef round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 16 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup sliced celery (one stalk)
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot (1 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed between fingers
- 1Trim fat from meat. Cut into 4 serving size pieces.
- 2Combine the flour, salt and pepper. With the notched side of a meat mallot, pound flour mixture into meat, both sides.
- 3In a large skillet brown meat on both sides in hot oil. Drain off fat.
- 4Add undrained tomatoes, onion, celery, carrot and thyme. Bring to boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1 1/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- 5Skim off any fat.
- 6Serve over rice or noodles.
- 7Oven directions:
- 8Prepare and brown meat in skillet, as above. Transfer meat to a 2 qt baking dish.
- 9In the same skillet combine undrained tomatoes, onion, celery, carrot and thyme. Bring to a full boil, scraping up any browned bits.
- 10Pour over meat.
- 11Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven about 1 hour until tender. Serve over rice or noodles.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swiss Steak Bh&g Year 1937
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.9
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 72.5 mg
- Sodium 474.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 24.4 g