Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the exact recipe my mother has always used to make Swiss steak. Comfort food for me! I hope you enjoy it...and it brings back memories too! I serve with mashed potatoes or extra wide egg noodles. Yummy!
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I leave this out)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef boneless round steak, tip (I always use round) or 1 1⁄2 lbs chuck steaks, about 3/4 in thick. (I always use round)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Mix flour, mustard and salt (if using). Sprinkle one side of beef steak with half of the flour mixture; pound inches Turn beef and pound in remaining flour mixture.
- Cut beef into 6 serving pieces. Heat oil in skillet until hot. Cook beef over medium heat about 15 minutes, turning once, until brown.
- Add tomatoes, garlic and worcestershire sauce; break up tomatoes. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 1 1/4 hours or until beef is tender.
- Add water, onion and bell pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.