Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My Grandparents and Mother came to United States from Germany. This is a recipe my Mother made when we were Kids. We always loved it. Hope you like this as much as we do.
- 2 -3 lbs round steaks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- chop onion to desired size.
- trim all fat from meat, and cut to desired serving sizes.
- in a large pot melt 1 Tbsp shortening, and saute onions till soft. remove and set aside.
- add other 2 Tbsp shortening brown meat.
- after meat is browned, add onions,and tomatoes with juice, reserving 1/3 can of juice to mix the flour.
- cover and simmer on medium heat for 1 hour.
- add salt and pepper.
- while this is simmering, mix flour and reserved tomatoe juice till smooth.
- after an hour remove meat and set aside.
- (this makes it easier to to stir in flour- juice mixture.).
- still simmering, and flour-juice mixture and stir till mixed in well.
- add meat back.
- cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- serve over spaghetti.