Recipe by Da Huz
Taken from "The Spice Cookbook" by Day & Stuckey (1964), this is simple and satisfying. Serve with whatever vegetables you choose, drizzled with the gravy.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut steak into 5 servings.
- Pound steaks until they are thin and tender.
- Mix 3 tbsp flour with the salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add shortening to a heavy skillet or dutch oven and heat.
- Dredge steaks in the flour mixture.
- Brown steaks on both sides in the hot shortening.
- Add the hot water and onion flakes.
- Simmer 25 minutes or until cooked but tender.
- Remove steaks and keep warm.
- Whisk 2 tbsp flour with the pan drippings.
- Add milk and cook until gravy is slightly thickened.