Da Huz's Note:
Taken from "The Spice Cookbook" by Day & Stuckey (1964), this is simple and satisfying. Serve with whatever vegetables you choose, drizzled with the gravy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut steak into 5 servings.
- 2Pound steaks until they are thin and tender.
- 3Mix 3 tbsp flour with the salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- 4Add shortening to a heavy skillet or dutch oven and heat.
- 5Dredge steaks in the flour mixture.
- 6Brown steaks on both sides in the hot shortening.
- 7Add the hot water and onion flakes.
- 8Simmer 25 minutes or until cooked but tender.
- 9Remove steaks and keep warm.
- 10Whisk 2 tbsp flour with the pan drippings.
- 11Add milk and cook until gravy is slightly thickened.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swiss Steak
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.0
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 84.4 mg
- Sodium 561.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 33.7 g