Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This makes a GREAT Sunday Dinner. Not only can you make this in the oven or the crockpot, but you can make it in a Nesco Roaster. Keep the heat of the Nesco at about 200-250*F throughout cooking. Rachael's Recipe Notes: You can start this in a large skillet and then transfer the meat to a slow cooker, add the onions, seasonings and tomato sauce and let it cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. The gravy this makes tastes wonderful over mashed potatoes.
- 6 lbs chuck roast, trimmed of fat
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, approximately
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, undrained and cut up coarsley
- 2 (8 ounce) cans mushroom gravy or 2 (8 ounce) cans beef gravy
- 2 (8 ounce) cans button mushrooms, and undrained
- In a shallow dish mix together the flour and salt and pepper.
- Cut each roast into 8 pieces; dredge in flour mixture.
- In large skillet brown meat on all sides in oil. Layer roast with onions in large roasting pan. Repeat.
- Pour tomato sauce, gravy, undrained mushrooms, chopped tomatoes and reserved juice over all.
- Cover and bake at 300°F for 2-3 hours (up to 4 hours). Meat should be very, very tender.
- Remove cover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes.