Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Vintage round steak recipe from 1969 Better Homes and Gardens Meat Cookbook.
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 lbs round steaks, 1 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers
- Combine flour, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Pound into meat.
- In large skillet, brown meat on both sides in hot shortening.
- *Top with onions and tomatoes.
- Cover;cook over low heat 1 1/2 hrs.
- or until tender.
- Add green pepper; cook 15 minutes longer.
- Skim off excess fat.
- Thicken juices, if desired.
- Season to taste.
- *Tooven bake, transfer browned meat to 12 X 7 1/2 X 2 inch baking dish.
- Top with onion and tomatoes.
- Bake, covered at 350 Deg.
- for 1 1/2 hrs.
- Uncover; add green pepper and bake 15 minutes, basting meat occasionally.
i have been searching for this recipe for quite some time, my mom used to make this when we were little and we loved it. it is simple with little ingredients, yet tastes so good! thank you so much for posting this! also, my mom used to make it in her electric skillet on the counter top, so i hope to make this recipe just like she did. thank you again! melissa
It was very good. I baked it and added more veggies then the recipe called for. It will be a family favorite.