Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I got this recipe from my Godfathers wife Pat Dyer. I have been making this for years.
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 (7 ounce) cans mushrooms, drained
- 1 large round steak, cut in 3-inchx3-inch pcs
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Flour and brown meat in oil in frypan.
- Mix other ingredients together in 6 qt pan.
- As meat browns add to other ingredients.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 1-1/2 hours.
This was very good, we all enjoyed it. The beef was so tender and flavorful. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Lavender Lynn. Made for the "Best of 2011" tag game.
Please thank you godfather's wife for me! This is pure comfort food. I love Swiss Steak, but hate the time it usually takes to make it. I used a round steak that had been put through the tenderizing machine at the butcher shop. I am embarrassed to admit I forgot to add the mushrooms, but it was still great. The sauce is very rich. Made for ZWT 7.
This was comfort food at it's best! I followed the recipe ingredients exactly, then I threw it in the crock pot for about 4 hours. The meat was very tender and the gravy so flavorful! This recipe is a keeper. Thanks Lynn! ZWT7 - Shady Ladies