A very good tender steak, with rich tomato sauce. I serve this with baked potatoes.
Make and share this Swiss Steak recipe from Food.com.
- Mix flour with seasonings.
- Cut steak into serving size pieces, put steak into a gallon size ziploc bag.
- Pour flour into ziploc bag, pound steak with a tenderizer mallet until flat and most of the flour is pounded into the steak.
- In a skillet, heat Crisco until melted.
- Place steak into skillet and brown on both sides.
- Add 2 cups of stewed tomatoes and 1 small onion sliced.
- Cook over low heat or place in a 300°F oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, uncovering the last 1/2 hour to down the sauce to a rich thickness.
WOW!!!! This is an excellent recipe. We loved it. Thanks it is a keeper.
OMG.... this is soooo good. I had Swiss Steak growing up but could never get it to come out right when I fixed it. I made this tonight and it was just delicious. Just like my childhood. (The only difference in the recipes was my grandmother used tomato soup instead of stewed tomatoes.)I will definatly be making this again and am putting it in my favorites cookbook. Thank you for posting this recipe.
I have been looking for a swiss steak recipe that my Mom used when I was young. This is the first one that taste like it, was very good, and made the steak so tender. I will certainly reuse again and again.