Recipe by awalde
Homemade spaetzle are quick to prepare and really very good. Serve topped with cheese and/or fried onions…or plain with butter…or baked again until roasted in the oven...or with a meal with sauce; for example, Zürigschnätzlets (Veal in Cream Sauce- Veal Zurich) (Zürigschnätzlets (Veal in Cream Sauce- Veal Zurich))…or…..
Top Review by Crafty Lady 13
This was my first time making spaetzle. I added some sauteed onion, bacon and tomato concentrate to my dish and loved every bite. It makes a tasty side dish that would compliment any meal. My colander didn't have big enough holes so I ended up using my potato masher. I enjoyed this dish so much that the next day I ordered a spaetzle maker online. I am looking forward to making this again with the spaetzle maker. Made for May 2012 Aus/NZ Swap.
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat water in a big pot for cooking.
- Meanwhile mix flour, eggs, milk, water and salt together with a blender.
- Let rest 5 to 10 minutes and mix briefly.
- Add salt to the boiling water.
- Add the dough directly into the boiling water quickly using a holed colander or a spaetzle maker.
- When the spaetzle float, they are ready; it takes about 2 or 3 minutes.
- You can prepare colorful spaetzle if you add to the dough:.
- for red some tomato concentrate;.
- for yellow 1 teaspoon turmeric powder;.
- for green 1/2 cup mashed spinach;.
- for orange 1 cup of mashed cooked squash or carrots; reduce the water to about 1/2 cup.
- And so on….