Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Simple, delicious side dish - a great traveller for pot luck dinners.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream or 2 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 8 slices swiss cheese, cut into strips
- 1⁄4 lemon juice
- 8 medium white potatoes
- 6 whole green onions, sliced
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Melt the butter in saucepan, add garlic powder and flour, then cook, stirring constantly until very bubbly, approximately two minutes.
- Gradually add the cream, stirring until fairly thick and smooth.
- Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Cover and set aside.
- Pour lemon juice into large bowl of cold water.
- Peel the potatoes, immersing them in the lemon solution as they are peeled to prevent discoloring.
- Then, thinly slice the potatoes, returning slices to lemon solution until all potatoes are sliced.
- Grease 8 cup baking dish.
- Drain the potatoes and pat dry with paper towel.
- Overlap one third of potatoes on the bottom of dish, top with one third of the green onions, then sprinkle generously with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Cover with one third of the cheese sauce.
- Repeat layers, ending with sauce.
- Cover and bake in the preheated oven for one hour.
- Uncover and continue baking for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced and the top is golden.