Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
From the book "How to Present and Serve Food Attractively" and found in "The Good Cook Salads". Posted for ZWT7. The cooking time is the refrigeration time needed for the dressing.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into wedges (about 5 or 6 medium-sized tomatoes)
- 2 cucumbers, unpeeled but thinly sliced
- 6 eggs, hard-boiled and sliced
- 2 small green peppers, halved seeded, deribbed and very thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb gruyere cheese or 1⁄2 lb emmenthaler cheese, cut into julienne
- 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives, sliced
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 garlic clove, split in half
- 10 oil-packed flat anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry and crushed
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sharp brown mustard
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced oregano
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the anchovy dressing by combining all ingredients and mixing well.
- Set aside in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- To make the salad, rub the bowl with the cut side of the garlic clove and discard it.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir very carefully so that the eggs don't break.
- Present the salad to your guests, pour over the dressing and mix before serving.