Recipe by twissis
This salad by Lillian Langseth-Christensen from "How to Present & Serve Food Attractively" seemed very timely w/RSC going on, so I decided to enter it & dedicate it to Duckie. Enjoy! (Time does not include time to hard-boil & cool the eggs or refrigerate the dressing.)
Top Review by Brenda.
I have been wanting to try this salad for weeks and finally the timing was right. This is a wonderful, fresh tasting salad. I used gruyere cheese and shaved it onto the salad with my vegetable peeler. The flavors in the dressing blend and balance perfectly.*Delicious*. DS kept coming into the kitchen swiping my sliced veggies and dipping them into the dressing. I had to shoo him out so we would have enough for our salads. I plated each salad separately and served small individual bowls of dressing on each plate. I knew this would be a wonderful recipe coming from you twissis :) Thanks for sharing, we enjoyed this. Nick's Mom
- 5 medium tomatoes (ripe, peeled, seeded & cut into wedges)
- 2 medium cucumbers (unpeeled & thin-sliced)
- 6 eggs (hard-boiled & sliced)
- 2 small green peppers (halved, seeded, deribbed & very thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2 lb gruyere (cut in sml julienne strips) or 1⁄2 lb emmenthaler cheese (cut in sml julienne strips)
- 1⁄2 cup black olives (pitted & sliced)
- 2 small onions (thinly sliced & separated into rings)
- 10 anchovy fillets (oil-packed, rinsed, patted dry & crushed)
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oregano (finely minced)
- 1 small garlic clove (very finely minced)
- white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For Dressing: Combine all ingredients & refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- For Salad: Prepare & combine all salad ingredients except the egg slices.
- Present the salad, drizzle w/dressing to your taste pref, mix to distribute dressing & top w/egg slices to serve.