Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is an easy, basic recipe my family and I really enjoy. The long cook time ensures the meat will some out tender and full of flavor. If there is any sauce left I like to spoon it over mashed potatoes like a gravy. It's wonderful!
- 2 lbs round steaks, Cut into serving pieces
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 onion, Chopped
- 1 green pepper, Chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Place Flour, salt and Pepper in a large ziplock bag, add beef pieces and shake well to coat. You may have to do it in batches.
- Place butter in a large, deep skillet and melt (Do not let it simmer long enough to brown).
- Add beef and brown beef on all sides.
- Add garlic, beef broth, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, basil and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and simmer mixture for 1 1/2 Hours, Stirring Occasionaly.
- Before serving, Sprinkle meat with cheese (If desired) And let it simmer uncovered just long enough for the cheese to melt.
Yummy! My family loved this and it was so simple! Thanks for the great and easy recipe!
We really liked the flavor of this dish and the tenderness of the beef. I think I will try serving it over noodles the next time I make it. Served this with Jody's steamed broccoli with cheese and mashed potatoes and her wonderful pumpkin cake for dessert. Great meal!