Prep 4 hrs 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 1⁄2 kg large baking potatoes or 1 1⁄2 kg waxy potatoes
- 60 g butter
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Boil the potatoes for 10 minutes until just tender.
- Drain thoroughly and leave to cool then peel.
- Chill for about 4 hours (this can be speeded up by careful use of the freezer).
- Coarsely grate the potatoes into a large bowl.
- Add salt and pepper and herbs to taste.
- Melt half the butter and half oil in the frying pan.
- Add the grated potato and flatten into a cake in the pan (use a fish knife for this as it makes it a bit easier).
- Cook over a low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Once the base is crisp turn on to a plate.
- Melt the remaining butter and oil in the frying pan.
- Add the potato cake and cook the other side.