Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Time life: Cooking of the British Isles:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup self rising flour
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- To make lemon curd:.
- In 2 quart saucepan combine butter, sugar, lemon juice and egg yolks.
- Cook over lowest heat possible, stirring constantly until mixture is thick enough to evenly coat the back of a spoon.
- Do NOT let your mixture boil, the eggs will curdle.
- Pour into small bowl and stir in lemon peel.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Swiss Roll:.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Coat bottom and sides of 11x17 in jelly roll pan with 1 tbsp of melted butter.
- Line pan with wax paper, allow to extend over the sides.
- Brush paper with remaining butter and sprinkle with 2 tbsp of all purpose flour, tipping to spread evenly.
- Turn pan over and tap to remove extra flour.
- With beater or wire whisk beat sugar and eggs together until light and fluffy.
- A little at a time, sift self rising flour over eggs.
- Fold gently together with rubber spatula, do NOT overmix.
- Pour batter into lined pan and spread evenly.
- Bake on middle rack for 10 minutes or until top is a light golden color and has began to lift from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from oven and dust evenly with superfine sugar.
- Turn it out on a sheet of wax paper and peel away paper.
- Spread lemon curd mixture on top and gently, starting at edge, roll into a cylinder.
- To serve, cut into 1/2 inch slices.