1/2 Photos of Swiss Roll
This is in reply to a request on the British forum. I do love a Swiss roll and I make it to satisfy my craving for apricot jam. I make a chocolate one every Christmas for those who don't like traditional fruit cake. In the UK, all cakes etc are filled with strawberry jam. Recipe is from Mrs. Beeton's Family Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the oven to 220C/Gas mark 7.
- 2Grease and line a Swiss roll tin 20 x 30cm.
- 3Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl over a pan of hot water, taking care that the base does not touch the water.
- 4Whisk for 10-15 minutes until thick and creamy.
- 5(I recommend an electric mixer!) Remove from the pan and whisk until cold.
- 6Sift the baking powder with the flour and salt, and fold in lightly.
- 7Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 10 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, if using jam, warm.
- 9When the cake is cooked, turn it onto a large sheet of greaseproof paper dusted with caster sugar.
- 10Peel off the lining paper.
- 11Trim off any crisp edges.
- 12Spread the cake with the warmed jam and roll up tightly.
- 13Dredge with caster sugar and place on a cooling rack with the cut edge underneath.
- 14Note: if the Swiss roll is to be filled with butter cream, cover with greaseproof paper and roll up tightly with the paper inside.
- 15Cool completely.
- 16When cold, unroll carefully, spread with the filling and re-roll.
- 17Dust with caster sugar.
- 18Variation: chocolate Swiss roll.
- 19Substitute 1 x 15 ml spoon cocoa for 1 x 15 ml spoon of flour.
- 20When cooked, roll up with greaseproof paper inside.
- 21When cold, prepare chocolate butter icing.
- 22Unroll carefully; spread with just over half the butter icing and roll up.
- 23Spread the remainder over the top and, if liked, mark with a fork to resemble a log.
- 24For a Yule log, put a robin or sprig of holly on top of the roll.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swiss Roll
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 853.1
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 634.5 mg
- Sodium 548.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 148.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 76.3 g
- Protein 28.5 g