Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a tasty potato casserole!
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 3 cups siced mushrooms (or to taste)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (preferably Yukon Gold)
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 -3 cups swiss cheese, shredded (or to taste)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream (or full-fat milk)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- seasoning salt or regular salt and pepper
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease or butter a 13x9-in casserole dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat; saute onions, garlic, mushrooms, seasoning salt and pepper for about 5 minutes, or until liquid is evaporated; let cool slightly.
- Layer half of the potatoes in prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with all the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Top with sausage, onion, mushroom and garlic mixture, then half of the cheese.
- Top with remaining potatoes; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Pour the half and half cream and whipping cream over top.
- You can top with more shredded cheese or Parmesan cheese if desired before baking.
- Cover, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and uncover, using spatula, gently press potatoes down into the cream.
- Return to oven and bake for another 25-35 minutes pressing potatoes down once, or until the potatoes are tender and golden brown and bubbly.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
I've made this twice in the last two weeks and it disappeared quickly both times! The first time I made it exactly by the recipe. The second time, to save on time I substituted onion powder and garlic powder for the onions and garlic and used a bag of hash browns for the potatoes. It was just as good, and I didn't have to spend time chopping/slicing onions and potatoes!
This casserole was good and we enjoyed it, but we did have to add salt to it. Also, next time I make this I might add just a bit more garlic and maybe even some red pepper flakes (just because I like foods just a little bit spicy). Overall, it made a nice easy meal served with green beans and biscuits. Thanks for sharing the recipe.