Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Posting for ZWT 7. This recipe comes from epicurean.com
- 2 lbs red-skinned boiling potatoes
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- nutmeg, to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 cup heavy cream (approximately)
- sweet butter, for greasing baking dish
- 1⁄4 lb gruyere cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- Wash potatoes well and trim away any discolored spots or eyes.
- (You may peel potatoes if you like.) Slice thin and drop into a pot of cold, heavily salted water. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Boil potatoes for 1 minute, drain, and rinse with cold water. Drain again and pat dry.
- Combine ricotta and parsley and season generously with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Beat the egg briefly and add enough heavy cream to make 1 cup of liquid. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Lightly butter a shallow, oval gratin dish measuring 9 x 12 inches. Arrange a layer of slightly overlapping potato slices in the dish. Dot with about one third of the ricotta mixture; sprinkle with one third of the Gruyère. Repeat, using all of the ingredients and ending with a potato layer.
- Gently pour the egg and cream mixture into the dish, lifting potato slices with a fork if necessary to allow the cream to spread evenly among them.
- Bake on the center rack of a preheated 350°F oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and the cheese is browned and bubbling. Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
I love potato gratins and this one was great!! I made 1/4 of the amount and made two medium ramkins with it. The only change I made was to add a small amount of minced onion. I loved using the red potato with the softer peel, so no need to peel them. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Photo Tag Game.