Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Hearty, cheesy, yum. A recipe of my grandmother's.
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 4 large potatoes, diced
- 8 mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 6 ounces emmenthaler cheese, shredded (swiss)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped parsley
- In a kettle or large saucepan, combine broth, water, onions, potatoes, celery and mushrooms. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small skillet, melt butter and stir in flour. Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture becomes golden brown.
- Add to simmering soup.
- Stir until soup bubbles and thickens.
- Season to tase with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with cheese and parsley.
This is a nice,creamy,comforting soup. It is great!! Loved that you made a seperate roux (flour and butter browned together) to add to this. Makes it taste better and thicken up JUST RIGHT. Thanks for sharing!Made for Spring PAC,2011.